Monday, May 23, 2011

Infinity Q and A: T.R. McKotch

"Infinity Q & A" is a regular, recurring series featuring various staff members and Instructors at Infinity Visual and Performing Arts. Today we feature T.R. McKotch, an Infinity Drum Instructor and one of the directors for the Collective Groove Ensemble.


Infinity Instructor T.R. McKotch
What is your favorite part of Infinity?
 My favorite part of Infinity is watching the kids progress into the accomplished musicians that they have become. There are a lot of fantastic local musicians that have come out of this program.


Through your experiences teaching at Infinity what have you learned from your students?
 I learned to always be on top of my game! I have to be up to date on the latest music, the latest trends and even new ways of reading music. I remember when a student first brought me drum tabs. It was like I was living in an alternate dimension! I had no clue what to do with them but I went home, studied them and learned all I could about them. Experiences like that really help to keep me on top of the ways that I teach!


What are you looking most forward to from Infinity's Annual Spring Showcase?
  I love to see all the hard work that the kids have put in throughout year. The showcase really allows them to put that into action. It's their opportunity to shine.


Do you have a quote or any words of advice for current Infinity students?
 Always practice and come to class prepared, and you'll go far!


-Stephanie Rogers

The Infinity Visual and Performing Arts Program is dedicated to building the resiliency of our community's youth by providing unique opportunity through access to the arts. More than a place, more than a program, Infinity is an experience for the body, mind, and soul; it is a chance for youth to become immersed in music and learning, to take creative risks, and to discover their infinite potential. To learn more or to donate, visit www.infinityperformingarts.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment